1950s black silk PHILIP HULITAR Modes gathered bustle dress w/ back fin & lace trim RARE vintage
LAYAWAY AVAILABLE ON ALL ITEMS. DM ME IF INTERESTED. SPECTACULAR 1950s shantung silk black PHILIP HULITAR Modes gathered bustle dress.
I am going to list the features of this dress becase there are so many it will get "wordy ":
- squared off sweetheart neckline with black lace trim and illusion panel
-metal back zipper
-split construction cap sleeves
- taffeta lined boned bodice
- narrow waist with front and back gathering creating a bustle effect
- inverted pleats on the front and back of the skirt create a dramatic "fin " on the front and back of the skirt
- unlined lightweight skirt
- incredible fit that follows the line of the body
this dress is light as air and yet fully constructed. Amazing !!!!!
The construction of this dress was most certainly inspired by the couture work of Charles James. It is a work of art !
A rare find !
No marked size
EXCELLENT vintage condition. no flaws.
Some addl info on Hulitar from the VFG site :
Starting in 1935, Philip Hulitar (1905-1992) was the custom designer of maternity, evening, and wedding attire for Bergdorf Goodman. Hulitar opened his own business in 1949 and continued to make evening clothes in the same sophisticated manner. Hulitar retired in 1964.
ALL SALES FINAL